Friday, April 22, 2011

Taj Mahal - different point of view


When I visited the Taj this time, I wanted to shoot it from a different angle, having exhausted all the conventional angles during my previous visits!  Many of the conventional angles are still irresistible.

In Agra I went to a place called Mehtab Bagh. This is a garden which is on the other side of the river Yamuna exactly opposite to Taj Mahal. From here one gets an uninterrupted view of the back side of Taj Mahal. I must say this place is a photographer’s delight! I was unfortunate in the sense that there was very little water in the river Yamuna. Had the river Yamuna been running full, I would have got the beautiful reflection of the Taj, especially after 2 PM, when the sun is shining bright over Taj. Perhaps there is always a next time and the next time I would be luckier!!!



The Garden complex, situated on the opposite bank of the Taj Mahal, is also known as “The Moonlight Garden”. Three hundred fifty years ago, when the Taj was built on the Yamuna's south bank, this garden was also laid just across the river. It was laid alongside the northern waterfront. It seems this place was once an oasis with fragrant flowers, shaded pavilions, fountain jets and reflecting pools but it ceased to exist in the due course of history. Slowly, the site became barren.


This place is not known to many in Agra itself! I asked many people but no one could tell me how to get there. Finally I got an auto guy who immediately understood the place   I was asking about. So I gladly fixed him and left the hotel at 6:30 AM, so that I could get some nice shots of the Taj when the sun is just rising. But when I went there the atmosphere was totally different and the Taj was  completely covered by early morning mist! As the sun rose, the Taj was getting slowly exposed from the clouds or mist and the sight was awesome! Wow! That was much better than what I had expected! I am sure anyone who sees the pictures I took would agree with me.

Then, I went to the same place in the afternoon by 4 PM and took the following shots.




No comments: