Sunday, March 20, 2011

Khajuraho temple




The moment someone hears the name Khajuraho the bell it rings in the mind is - statues of sex poses from Kama sutra. 


But when I visited this great place what I saw was something significantly different. I have visited many places in India and to my mind this is perhaps the only place where you can see hundreds of beautiful statues in a single temple. Clusters of statues in fact!




I have never seen such beautiful statues of women in so many numbers anywhere in India. This is a collection of several master pieces in one place! Architecture cannot get bigger and more beautiful than this! Not a single square inch is left free in these temples. There are four temples which are the most important ones.





Khajuraho is much more than what it is generally known for!

2 comments:

Madhu Gopalan said...

Gorgeous!

chitra said...

I haven't seen this temple. Hope to make it one day. The statues are wonderful, haven't seen such clusters before.