Friday, June 4, 2010

Madurai


|

Last week I had the opportunity of visiting Madurai in Tamil Nadu. I knew ‘Meenakshi Amman temple’ offers fantastic photo opportunities. So I packed my Nikon promptly, even before I packed other things!

I spent two days at Madurai and two days at Tanjavur before returning to my base – Mumbai.  The way people speak Tamil in Madurai is quite different and I always enjoyed it whenever I visited Madurai. The main attraction in Madurai is of course Meenakshi. The next attraction for me is Murugan Iddly kadai! Yes, recently they have opened a branch at Madurai. For a guy like me who stays in north India, this is definitely an added attraction! In Madurai you get superb iddlies. I felt that these guys can pay more attention to keep the place cleaner!  The stuff they serve is very good and fortunately they serve mineral water. Big consolation!

Meenakshi Amman temple has been given a big face lift by Tamil Nadu government. Looks like they have spent a lot of money and time to clean the temple and paint it. Painting the Gopurams (Tamil word for Temple towers) however is a matter of opinion. I am not in favor of painting the gopuram. In my opinion it loses the original looks. In the recent past they have started painting all the gopurams in Tamil Nadu. I guess it should be left without painting. It looks better that way.

I am visiting Madurai probably after a gap of about 8 years. Nothing has changed! Everything is same. Same Tirunelveli Alva kadai swarming with people, no change in town hall road, College House same as it was 20 years ago with same tables! Only striking change I noticed was the poster of Azhagiri everywhere! He almost owns Madurai, I guess! Everything is in his name; auto stand, cycle stand, bus stand, you name it! Malli poo (Jasmine flower) with superb vasanai continues to be available in plenty in Madurai. I saw it being sold everywhere! Good this has not changed!

Of course another difference I noticed this time was the penetration of Chudidhar! Almost everyone is wearing Chudidhar in Madurai. The beautiful Pavadai & dhavani is almost extinct! Why Tamilians  Tamilians lose their identity, I do not know!

One thing which is very striking in Madurai is the crowd in hotels. Every hotel is crowded all the time! You can never enter freely into a hotel and eat peacefully in Madurai. Before you start eating, someone will be waiting next to your table for you to finish! How anyone will have the mood to enjoy the food, I am not sure! But that is what is happening in Madurai everyday!

Madurai does not have any quality of being called as a city! It is surrounded by lot of villages and the city is frequented by these villagers. Always crowded because of tourist importance, Madurai still has a charm of its own! 

No comments: